Saturday, May 31, 2014

alligraphic moi

Most suddenly, I find myself using a calligraphic pen-swashed and inked lines all over the place (well, mostly on the pages of one of my sketchbooks). It's really interesting and informative (that may not be quite the right word) to copy and draw gibberish just to make some pretty looking letters. I like the discipline of the drawing of these letters and the idea right in front of me, is an objective: drawing letters with a wrong and a right way of execution in real old-fashioned black and white.
Had a greg inspired day in the studio yesterday, with ideas flying around the room like wayward birds (I used to have those and bats that lost their way in my NJ studio-very difficult to catch, BTW).
I started a wheeled pc, either for the ZiPP gallery show or for a collector friend who is coming out in August. Have in mind also a 5 or 6-tiered tower of varying small arcs/rounds that will each hold a king inside, with orange slats making up the wall of each tier…
Pulled my first print off my new press-i like it quite a bit, but feel it's only a start…
Laura was down yesterday trying her hand at putting the dog heads I've designed to sell at shows together. This is not an easy place to start, involving small mailings and cutting tin with a metal shears. I hope that the learning curve does not get to her and also that she enjoys the work enough to continue. I could use some help with these, as i know they are an easy "seller".
Started a painting of a head that will incorporate two sets of teeth (these are literally nailed to the "canvas") and will hopefully go from there…lots of stuff started!


Here's a shot of the intaglio plate I just printed.

No comments: